Rapid Support Forces Commander Lt Gen Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo on Thursday had a phone call with UN Secretary-General of the United Nations Antonio Guterres.
Through a statement shared on his X handle, Dagalo said the two discussed about the situation in Sudan and the negative ramifications of the war that broke out on April 15, 2023, which has killed thousands, displaced hundreds of thousands and caused destruction in the country.
As of December 19, 2023, at least 12,000 people had been killed and 33,000 others were injured, according to the UN.
As of December 29, 2023, over 5.8 million were internally displaced and 19 million children out of school.
Dagalo RSF’s controls much of the west and most of the capital Khartoum and has been accused of committing human rights atrocities by UN and human rights agencies.
But Dagalo said they explored ways to alleviate the humanitarian suffering experienced by civilians.
“I briefed Mr. Guterres on the current developments in our country, emphasizing the severe violations committed by Burhan’s coup militia against innocent civilians. These violations include aerial bombings, killings, ethnically motivated arrests, preventing humanitarian organizations from delivering aid to civilians, and imposing restrictions on humanitarian workers,” he said in his statement.
He, however, reiterated his willingness to negotiate with Abdel al-Burhans Sudan Armed Forces, “leading to the reconstruction of the Sudanese state on new, equitable foundations that achieve security, stability, and lasting, comprehensive peace”.
Dagalo, who has in the recent past shuttled in Africa meeting leaders in Uganda, Ethiopia, Djibouti, Kenya, South Africa and Rwanda, welcomed the appointment of Ramtane Lamamra as the special envoy to the UN Secretary-General in Sudan, saying he is ready cooperate with him and all UN agencies to address the humanitarian situation.
In November 2022, Burhan received a phone call from Guterres and discussed the war.
In May 2023, Guterres said he was shocked by a letter from Burhan in which he asked for the UN special envoy in Sudan Volker Perthes to be replaced.
“The Secretary-General is proud of the work done by Volker Perthes and reaffirms his full confidence in his Special Representative,” U.N. spokesperson Stephane Dujarric said.
Two week later, he was declared persona non-grata.