Sudan Prime Minister on Thursday received a call from US Secretary of state and discussed progress in delisting Sudan from the sponsors of terrorism list.
In a tweet, Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok said he was delighted to receive the call from Mike Pompeo and said he looks forward to the “continued support of the US administration to Sudan’s transitional government”.
This call follows another on June 24, when the two leaders reviewed progress towards addressing the policy and statutory requirements for consideration of rescission of Sudan’s State Sponsor of Terrorism designation.
Days after assuming office in August last year, Hamdok said he had initiated talks with to US officials about removing Sudan from Washington’s list of countries sponsoring terrorism.
Removing Sudan from the list would open the door to foreign investment and allow the country to receive a much-needed International Monetary Fund and World Bank bailout package, Hamdok said last year.
The US named Sudan a state sponsor of “terror” in 1993 after it hosted the now-deceased al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden. The designation stuck through the al-Bashir regime.
It, however, began a formal process to delist Sudan in January 2017, lifting trade and economic sanctions in October. But the process was put on hold when mass protests began in December 2018.
This now means Sudan will close the offices of foreign groups designated as terrorists by the US, including Hamas and Hezbollah.
Sudan’s state-run news agency, Suna, reported last Saturday that Khartoum’s transitional Cabinet had affirmed its readiness to work with the US on the delisting.