Kenya has called for the speedy trial of Feliciene Kabuga and other cases to help survivors and families of victims of crimes against humanity find closure to foster reconciliation.
Speaking at the UN Security Council on Tuesday, Kenya Permanent Representative Ambassador Martin Kimani commended the International Residual Mechanism for Criminal Tribunals for its improved tracking capabilities, which led to the arrest of Kabuga last year in Paris.
“Kenya called on the continued engagement between the Mechanism and Member States for the implementation of requests for cooperation,” Kenya Mission to the UN said in a statement.
Kabuga, 84, one of the most wanted Rwandan fugitive accused of playing a huge part in the 1994 Genocide, was arrested in May last year. He was on the run for 26 years.
The International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda charged Kabuga with genocide and crimes against humanity.
He is alleged to have been the main financier of the ethnic Hutu extremists who slaughtered 800,000 people in 1994.
They were targeting members of the minority Tutsi community, as well as their political opponents.
Kabuga was indicted in 1997 on seven counts of genocide, complicity in genocide, direct and public incitement to commit genocide, attempt to commit genocide, conspiracy to commit genocide, persecution and extermination. He left Rwanda and hid in Kenya, where he continued with atrocities in his bid to prevent his arrest.
One of the victims was journalist William Munuhe Gichuki, who was found shot dead and his body disfigured with acid in his Karen apartment on January 14, 2003.
The family has been pushing for justice since then.
In December 2018, the family sued the state at the High Court, seeking compensation for Munuhe’s murder.
The family also petitioned the court to order for the establishment of an inquiry to establish Munuhe’s killers and solve the mystery.
Upon Kabuga’s arrest, the family said they hoped justice would finally be served.
After his arrest, Kabuga contested his extradition before the French courts, and on September 30, the French Cour de cassation (the court of last resort) rejected his appeal and authorised his transfer to the Mechanism’s custody.
Kabuga appeared before the Mechanism for his initial appearance in November last year.
Kabuga’s case will be heard before a Trial Chamber composed of Judge Iain Bonomy (the UK), Presiding, Judge Graciela Susana Gatti Santana (Uruguay), and Judge Elizabeth Ibanda-Nahamya (Uganda).