Police deny approval of DP William Ruto’s Nyamira event

Police in Nyamira have come out to rubbish claims that they have approved Deputy President William Ruto’s request to host his fundraiser in Nyamira County.

Two letters dated 13th October 2020 circulating around social media claim that the DP’s request to hold his fundraiser at Nyamira has been granted.

The letters were addressed to MP Vincent Kemosi (West Mugirango) and Pastor Richard Nyaribari giving them the go-ahead to plan the events.

According to reports, Masaba North Ward Police Commander Elam Esendi said the process to grant permission was still ongoing and a final decision was yet to be made.

“The letter on social media is from an unknown source and it should be known that we follow a chain of command and we cannot pre-empt the process. The events are for the office of the Presidency and it has to be approved through the chains of command. Communication will be issued once it is passed through the procedures,” Esendi said.

DP William Ruto was last week barred from going through with his fundraiser at Nyamira after police stormed the venue in trucks dispersing those that had gathered.

The police cited that the schedule fundraiser was disrupted since it was unauthorized and ordered those that had gathered to leave the grounds.

The Deputy President decided to postpone the event to 15th October 2020 stating that the interruption by the police was unnecessary.

“After consultations with MPs Kemosi, Mose, Nyamoko, the bodaboda sacco and church leadership who had invited us, we have postponed the two functions in Nyamira County to Thursday next week. The disruptive dispersal by police of kenyans engaged in economic empowerment is unnecessary,” the DP tweeted.

You have successfully subscribed to the newsletter

There was an error while trying to send your request. Please try again.

The Brief will use the information you provide on this form to be in touch with you and to provide updates and marketing.