Uhuru, Ruto and Raila mourn Nyamira Governor Nyangarama

Nyamira Governor John Nyagarama/ COURTESY

President Uhuru Kenyatta has mourned Nyamira Governor John Nyagarama, who passed away Friday morning, as a distinguished and true servant of the people.

In his condolence message, President Kenyatta said Nyangarama’s contribution to the development of the tea sector in Kenya and service to the people of Nyamira County shall be missed.

Nyangarama succumbed to Covid-19 complications at The Nairobi Hospital.

Uhuru eulogised Nyagarama, 74, as a friendly, approachable, wise, witty and kind leader.

He wished Governor Nyagarama’s family and the people of Nyamira county God’s comfort and fortitude as they come to terms with the County leader’s death.

Deputy President William Ruto mourned Nyagarama as a selfless and formidable champion for devolution “who was genuinely dedicated to public service. Progressive, steadfast and responsive, Governor Nyagarama was industrious, focussed and firm.”

“He will be remembered as a leader who built a better, more inclusive and more transformed Nyamira.”

“Our thoughts and prayers to the Nyagarama family, their loved ones, the people of Nyamira and the Council of Governors during this time of sorrow. Rest In Peace, Governor Nyagarama,” DP Ruto tweeted.

On his part, ODM leader Raila Odinga said Nyagarama has been an extraordinary partner in strengthening devolution.

“I will forever cherish moments with him on duty and as personal friends. May His Soul Rest in Eternal Peace,” Raila tweeted.

Nyangarama becomes the first governor to die of Covid-19 in the country, and the fourth to die in office after Nderitu Gachagua (Nyeri), Wahome Gakuru (Nyeri), Joyce Laboso (Bomet).

Council of Governors Chairman Wycliffe Oparanya said Nyagarama was a progressive, insightful, selfless and industrious governor, who was committed towards transforming the livelihoods of the people of Nyamira through development projects that have transformed his county.

Nyangarama was put on life support on Sunday night and his family was called in on Monday after his condition deteriorated.

He had been taken to hospital three weeks ago when he tested positive for coronavirus.


You have successfully subscribed to the newsletter

There was an error while trying to send your request. Please try again.

The Brief will use the information you provide on this form to be in touch with you and to provide updates and marketing.