In a period when various sports teams and groups are facing embarrassing moments over inconsistent cash flows, the Ministry of Sports, Arts and Culture transferred Sh1 billion to support the renovation of mobile clinics, it has emerged.
The money from the Sports, Arts and Social Development Fund was designed to facilitate the removal of the controversial mobile clinics from the National Youth Service yard in Miritini at a time Kenyan sport is facing a bleak future.
The containers, which have been under investigation by the Ethics and Anti Corruption Commission, were procured by the Ministry to assist people living in informal settlements to access medical services.
The procurement of the mobile clinics was part of the scandal in which Sh5.2 billion was lost in a deal that involved manipulation of the Integrated Financial Management System in the Health ministry.
According to the Daily Nation, the revelation struck the National Assembly Committee on Sports as if it has been hit with a sledgehammer. This sparked an uproar from members who are demanding an explanation from the Fund managers.
“It’s true the money was paid to the Ministry of Health. We were told the money was used to furnish the clinics. As a committee, this is an issue of great concern to us,” committee chairman Victor Munyaka said at the weekend.
Harambee Stars, for instance, risk being locked out of the 2022 Qatar World Cup qualifiers if the Football Kenya Federation fails to pay former coaches Bobby Williamson and Adel Amrouche their dues amounting to a Sh163 million.
This was confirmed by FKF President Nick Mwendwa in an interview with a local TV station, where he said they have received a letter from Fifa ordering them to pay Williamson (Sh55 million) and Amrouche(Sh108million).
Harambee Starlets, on the other hand, have not received a single cent from the ministry in their last two Olympic qualifying rounds and friendly against Ethiopia.
The players have also not been paid their allowances dating back to October last year while preparing for the Africa Women Cup of Nations (Awcon).
On October 24, Kenyans took to social media to express their deep disappointment with the Ministry of Sports following revelations that the national women’s netball team was bailed out by a Cameroonian well-wisher who bought them milk and bread, and offered alternative accommodation after they spent nights out in the cold in South Africa because they could not afford accommodation. The ministry denied the claims.
The team represented Kenya at the 2019 Africa Netball Championship in Cape Town.