Kenya has announced three more imported cases of coronavirus.
“We have received three more coronavirus cases. We now have seven confirmed cases. All these cases are imported,” Health CS Mutahi Kagwe said on Wednesday.
CS Kagwe said the three include a couple that travelled into the country from Madrid, Spain, on March 4, arriving into the country on March 5.
The other case, Kagwe said involves a Burundian national who had travelled from Dubai arriving on March 17.
“He was picked by Kenya surveillance team during routine screening at the JKIA,” Kagwe said.
This shows that we are screening on arrival, the CS said.
He added that there are now 18 cases that are admitted at Mbagathi hospital, while even have been screened and are negative.
“Samples from the remaining 11 are currently being tested. It is now clear that the threat we face is from Kenyans from other countries,” he said.
He noted that the self-quarantine is compulsory and if a patient fails to self-quarantine after promising to do so, they face a jail sentence after forcefully being quarantined.
Earlier in the day, Kagwe and health experts shared experiences with counterparts in China on Covid-19 response using Huawei donated video conference system.